Friday, April 12, 2013

Pineapple pictorial

I just survived a six-day week at the school - necessitated by the silly way they organise public holidays here (give you a day off, surround it with a couple more 'free' days off that you make up for the next week) - and in order to keep my sanity, as well as illustrate aspects of the local climate, I devised an experiment.

After lunch on sunday one of the students came up to me with a quarter pineapple on a stick.  I said thank you, but had just stuffed my face and didn't really want it, so I decided to put it outside on the A/C unit outside my staff room window.

 
 
It was cut into an interesting swirly shape, and smelled strongly while it leaked juice on my office chair en route to the window.  The flag I created from the stick we eat the indeterminate fried meats during lunch with.

 
 
 The next day the dryness had begun to take its toll.  Here we can see the inner porous matrices of the pineapple beginning to emerge as China sucks the life out of this piece of fruit.  Of interest: at no point were any insects or birds seen during the experiment.
 
By this point you can see my flag-making skills beginning to progress, as the fruit recedes further and further into itself.  More difficult to see? The fine layer of dust that in beginning to discolour things.
 
 
Day four brought more of the same dessication, and the advent of the stain from the leaked moisture becoming more apparent as everything raisins up further and further.  Day 1's flag blew away, alas.
 
 
On the last day of the experiment we were left with something that felt approximately like cheese if you squeezed it.  Why would someone squeeze it, you ask?  There's certainly no way anyone in the staff room pitched it out the window.  No way.


                                         Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....perma-soot!

No comments:

Post a Comment