Friday, November 22, 2013

Prodigal stunned - part 3

Hong Kong!  What an exciting prospect! I had always known I was going to visit it sometime during this school year, but a free trip?  Even one that probably involves me spending a day in a lineup to get a visa?  Sweet!

Everyone was happy, and stopped worrying about my impending deport-date; old students advised where I should go ("the racetrack! Beer and beauties!"), and I even began to look into movies that would be out/concerts I could check out of various varieties...good times.

After a couple weeks of radio silence regarding my flight date to Hong Kong, there was finally some crazy news: one of the Chinese staff had actually done some work!

While reading a document, the person in question happened upon an interesting tidbit, that being that only Hong Kong nationals could get mainland work visas in Hong Kong (after a recent policy change).  This meant that anybody else had to do it in their home country.  It took about 6 and a half weeks (give or take) for somebody to actually read this document after it became apparent that mistakes had been made.  Efficiency.

Thus I found myself going out to the Jinan airport (because, you know, organised support network) on my own dime.  Explaining why I was going to be gone for a week (Halloween week, no less) to the students left them positively agog at the lack of organisational facility displayed, once I explained all the steps leading from June to this moment.  Their consolations ("haha, it's China!") rung in my ears as I took off for the most travel-logged week of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment