Monday, November 26, 2012

Sino-Ponzi letter to Chiron

In an effort to avoid the dreaded 'dead-blog' effect that crippled the creative ramblings of so many of my compatriots of (refugees from?) the PDP program last year that went abroad, I've decided to post an e-missive I recently sent to an old teacher/mentor of mine.  Without further ado, my letter to Chiron (classical references: the most exclusive of all references!)

...
It's kind of tough to say exactly how things are.  School-wise I move between wondering why weeks are going by so (relatively) easily, and feeling wildly out of my depth.  Logic tells me that must be some 'first-year' sentiment, but it doesn't make the fact that I am teaching Comm11 first thing tomorrow any less galling.
In that class, for example, I need to do some kind of teaching on the topic of formal vs. informal language.  Slightly less than half that class is basically at this school to 'country-club' it, and isn't really up to learning much; the other half is actually pretty good, invariably female, and has just cottoned onto how to use the normal garden-variety swearwords...but not that they shouldn't really be used in written assignments.
My socials class is blessed with 5-6 good students out of 19, the others having coasted up to the top level without the requisite English skills in some kind of crazed sino-ponzi scheme.  I just marked two provincial exams taken by members of this ss11 class (Eng 10 exams btw), and there is no way in hell they will pass those.  Logically this means they will re-take English 10 etc etc... thus graduating - if that happens - about the same age I received my B.A. in a pair of ill-advised skate shoes and a hemp necklace.
Really, it's a good example of what happens when a magnificent degree of staff turnover meets students coming from rich families.  There's not a whole lot of grit in the bunch (with notable exceptions), and I'm going to have to fail a lot of them.... that is I'm going to give them realistic class marks and if they choke on the provincials it's game over/game reset time for them in those classes: there was a hilarious discrepancy between class marks and exam marks last year, so I'm trying to mark as realistically as I can.
The thing that stops me from immediately finding the exit is that the current group of grade tens is good: they are unblemished by the hilarious hijinks of yesteryear. After a recent reading comprehension test we gave to all levels, it has become apparent that the top third of the grade tens are clearly superior to the bottom half of the grade 12's.
Well, there's that, and the fact that I have student loans to pay…and probably a good deal more teaching to do to charge up my teaching resume to the point where my best-case scenario isn't teaching 1.5 days a week in Atlin. Beer's cheap too, I might mention.
...

All that being said there's not much to kvetch about...on the broad assumption the students continue to faux-bribe us with trips to family restaurants, cultural attractions, and, most recently, and small mountain of sesame (Zhoucun) pancakes and supposedly medicinal papayas.  Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment